2024 and The Zs: The Melody that Embraces Me

 Gen Zs accept the notion that, compared to most casual talks, their listening habits reveal more about who they are. - World Advertising Research Center 


Generation Z and Millenials are setting the bar for emerging trends in the ever-evolving music industry (Baig, 2023). It makes music a powerful companion for both generations, and I bet any generations as well. As noted from Spotify Advertising Team, in order to counteract digital overexposure, a warm embrace of nostalgia playlists that bring back the greatest hits from bygone eras is especially comforting to Millennials. In contrast, Gen Zs use a variety of media, such as inspirational podcasts, relaxing music, and even the quietness. 

Above is the music preferences from Gen Zs and Millennials as noted by Spotify. However, it was noted three years ago. In order to refresh it, I asked only the Gen Zs in my surrounding about their journey this year and of course the songs that they could find comfort and company on. 

So, to begin with, half of 2024 is already underway. That means halfway through, we will close 2024. My journey in this half year....well....Can you imagine a sweet and sour dish? So much has happened in my journey but one thing that I can clearly notice is that my life pivots around music. I'm not someone who is open about how I feel. Even if I succeeded, I would feel ashamed in the end. I can only interact comfortably to let out all my emotions, to songs. Often, I can only recommend songs to my friends when they talk about anything, hoping that the song could be a representation of my warm embrace. 

Therefore, I conducted a survey to find out the preferences of song choices that can provide a warm hug for Gen Zs when looking back on their journey in 2024. Not all the answers show a smooth and fine journey, but I am certain that doesn't mean there aren't any. 

The Results



The total participants were 31 people and was predominantly filled by Gen Zs aged 20-23 years old. Most of them have the same preferences, which are songs about growing up, solitude, hope, company, and validation. A small percentage had a preference for romance

Furthermore, there are two Gen Zs aged 16-19 years old. They have different preferences, with one of them favoring songs that lead to letting go of the past and the other favoring the gospel songs. Then, there is one Gen Z member aged 24-27 who listens to songs with the theme of the pain of unrequited love. Finally, there is one Gen Z member aged 12-15 who does not have a specific preference, meaning he/she accepts all types of songs. 

From the survey above, it can be concluded that the song preferences of Gen Zs with different ages are very obvious. It means their characteristic when listening to music is also dissimilar. Thus, I can find that there are distinct groups: 
  • Those who like songs that respond to what they feel.
  • Those who like songs that match what they feel.
As for me, I prefer the second type of songs. You know why. 

If you want to access the shorter version of this blog, I post it on my social media, X. 
Feel free to take a look with just one click: 2024 and The Zs: The Melody that Embraces Me


All of the pictures belong to Microsoft Bing and Google Form. Thank you, you two. 
Let me know on which group are you! See you whenever the universe allows. 


Reference: 
Baig, M. (2023, October 6). Global Music Trends for Millennials & Gen Z: A Sonic Journey. LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/global-music-trends-millennials-gen-z-sonic-journey-mirza-baig-fbxvc

Spotify Advertising Team. (2021, November). The new culture of listening. Spotify Advertising. https://ads.spotify.com/en-US/news-and-insights/culture-next-the-new-culture-of-listening/




Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Olivia Rodrigo: Her Melody that Embraces Us

Never A Heartbeat Away: A Buddy that Embraces Us